Boston Red Sox outfielder Hunter Renfroe made headlines earlier this week for leading his team to a much-needed win over the Tampa Bay Rays. On Thursday, he found himself once again in the headlines, only this time it was for the wrong reasons.
During an appearance on WEEI’s “Merloni & Fauria” show this Thursday, Renfroe was asked about the Red Sox’s recent COVID-19 outbreak.
Renfroe made some concerning comments about the way the MLB allegedly handled that situation. He claims that Boston was told by the league to stop testing its players and just treat those with symptoms.
“MLB basically told us to stop the testing and just treat the symptoms,” Renfroe said on WEEI Radio. “We’re like ‘No. We’re gonna figure out what’s going and keep this thing under control.’”
Lou Merloni was so surprised by this admission that he asked Renfroe if the league told the Red Sox to stop testing their players for COVID-19. He responded with a simple “Yes.”
A few hours after Renfroe’s comments went viral, an MLB spokesperson responded to these disturbing accusations. The league is denying any claims made by the veteran outfielder.
“He is completely wrong and inaccurate,” an MLB spokesperson said in response to Renfroe’s comments.
MLB spokesperson on Hunter Renfroe’s comments to WEEI saying that MLB encouraged the Red Sox to stop testing following their outbreak:
“He (Renfroe) is completely wrong and inaccurate.”
— Julian McWilliams (@byJulianMack) September 9, 2021
If Renfroe is telling the truth here, that’s an awful look for the MLB. On the other hand, it would be a bad look for Renfroe if the league didn’t actually tell Boston to stop testing its players.
Only time will tell who’s telling the truth in this situation.
The post MLB Spokesman Denies Red Sox Player’s Troubling Accusation appeared first on The Spun.