President Donald Trump is reportedly quite upset at the PGA’s decision to remove the 2022 PGA Championship from Trump Bedminster.
On Sunday night, the PGA of America announced it would no longer be holding the 2022 major at Trump’s course in New Jersey. A replacement venue has not been named.
“The PGA of America Board of Directors voted tonight to exercise the right to terminate the agreement to play the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster,” PGA of America president Jim Richerson said.
Even though Trump will no longer be in office in 2022, PGA of America is steering clear of him. The Royal and Ancient Golf Club also announced Sunday that no major events will be held at Trump Turnberry in Scotland.
According to New York Times writer Maggie Haberman, Trump is “gutted” about the PGA’s decision.
A lot has happened in the last week, including the president losing his Twitter feed, impeachment coming to the fore and the PGA withdrawing from Trump National. He’s “gutted” by the PGA move, a person close to the White House says.
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) January 11, 2021
Considering how much pride Trump takes in his golf courses–and how much time he spends there–it’s not a surprise he’s bummed about losing out on a major.
It will be fascinating to see how the sports world handles its ties to President Trump moving forward.
The post President Trump Is Reportedly ‘Gutted’ By PGA Decision appeared first on The Spun.