The Arizona Coyotes cut their training camp roster by 10 players on Thursday.
General manager Bill Armstrong announced that they were assigned back to their minor and junior-league squads, according to a press release.
The players were:
- Dylan Guenther – Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- Cole Hults – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- Ty Emberson – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- Reece Vitelli – Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
- Matias Maccelli – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- David Tendeck – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- Manix Landry – Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)
- Ben McCartney – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- Liam Kirk – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
- Cameron Crotty – Tucson Roadrunners (AHL)
Guenther was selected No. 9 overall in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft with a pick the Coyotes acquired from the Vancouver Canucks in the Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Conor Garland trade.
The 18-year-old winger scored a goal and had an assist in his preseason debut on Monday against the Los Angeles Kings. He was awarded with the first star of the night.
“Dylan Guenther, we get lucky to be honest with you, we didn’t think he would be there (at pick No. 9), but he was,” Armstrong told Arizona Sport’s Burns & Gambo on Thursday. “He could come in at this time next year and push for a legit spot on the top-two lines.
“He’s just a natural goal scorer, not only with his mind but he’s got a special shot.”
The Coyotes roster is down to 39 players with four exhibition matchups remaining.
Arizona takes on the Anaheim Ducks in Glendale on Saturday at 3 p.m. MST for its final home preseason game.
The Coyotes visit the Columbus Blue Jackets in their regular season opener on Oct. 14.