And so, it begins again!
- Ketel Marte, 2B
- David Peralta, LF
- Eduardo Escobar, 3B
- Kole Calhoun, RF
- Nick Ahmed, SS
- Carson Kelly, C
- Pavin Smith, 1B
- Trayce Thompson, CF
- Daulton Varsho, C
+ P Zac Gallen, to be followed by Taylor Clarke, Seth Frankoff, J.B. Bukauskas and Tyler Gilbert
Finally, baseball has returned to Salt River Fields. Nature truly is healing. It’ll be the first game here since the plug was rudely pulled on the 2020 spring training season on March 12, so almost a full year. There was then several months of unexpected no baseball, before the “MLB Lite” version of the schedule that unfolded. And like most Lite things, the results of the season were largely bland and a poor substitute for the real thing, leaving a nasty, chemical aftertaste in the mouth, tasting vaguely of LA smog… Here’s to a palate-cleansing 2021 season, which gets under way this afternoon.
Every game from Salt River Fields will be either on radio or web. We will work on getting that posted.
— @DbacksRadio (@DbacksRadio) February 28, 2021
In particular, this afternoon’s contest will be broadcast locally on 98.7 Arizona Sports. They said, “Radio today and Tuesday and dbacks.com tomorrow.” However, Steve Gilbert tweeted that today’s game will also be webcast on the Diamondbacks site, so… /shrug emoji. Click around the Internet, and I’m sure you’ll find it eventually. If you don’t get distracted by cat videos or any of the other wholesome entertainment available online.
Should mention, today’s game will likely not end up going nine innings, by mutual agreement. Manager Torey Lovullo said, “I think we’re going to play eight innings. There’s a couple games where we’re going to be a little light pitching-wise… I think we’re all in the same boat early. This is the first week. You might see us play anywhere from 7-9 innings a couple times, but we’re looking to play nine innings. I want us to play nine innings, but not on the risk of throwing somebody out there too long or asking them to do a little bit too much this first week.” So be sure to get in your seats early. 🙂
Torey Lovullo’s notes
- Ketel Marte time at SS – was more talking about work on the backfields but he’s in at 2B. today. Will get some reps at SS in games too.
- Jon Duplantier faced hitters for the first time today
- J.B. Bukauskas is converted to a short reliever, and is not being stretched as a starter. They saw him last spring in games too. Will pitch today.
- Don’t read anything into lineups at this stage. Many moving parts, so they have as much as to do with who is coming in behind or getting guys an extra at bat.
- For example: Stephen Vogt will bat leadoff tomorrow, to get him a couple of at bats before he has to be pulled from the game.